Merchants demand world-class reliability and security for their web stores from hosting providers. To this end, Tenzing employs a combination of its own Tier IV datacenters and AWS datacenters to provide a global and scalable datacenter footprint. Tenzing offers over 50 datacenters in 13 distinct geographic regions, enabling retailers to deliver their unique brand of commerce anywhere in the world.
Tenzing’s robust 2(N+1) datacenters are engineered to withstand multiple points of failure and still maintain a level of redundancy that exceeds lesser datacenters under normal operation. At the same time, one of Tenzing’s core values is environmental responsibility and it delivers by employing state-of-the-art power and cooling technologies in its datacenters to maximize energy efficiency and eliminate any carbon footprint.
Key Business Benefits
- World-class infrastructure for a tiny fraction of the cost of building and maintaining yourself
- A secure, “off-site” facility for storing and/or processing critical business information
- Strategically located primary and secondary datacenter locations for geographical redundancy
- Environmentally responsible zero carbon emission footprint
2(N+1) Power Systems
- 2(N+1) redundancy via independent “A” and “B” power circuits provides more than double the protection of typical N+1 data center designs.
- A/B Utility Grids: Facility has “A” and “B” power feeds from two independent, zero carbon emission utility grids. The “A” and “B” feeds from each utility come from four separate substations with diverse paths into the facility’s secure power vault.
- A/B Generators: The “A” and “B” utility feeds are connected to independent ATS (Automatic Transfer Switches) and Diesel Generator Farms. This architecture creates multiple layers of redundancy against primary and secondary power loss as well as redundancy during maintenance periods. On-site diesel fuel depot and fuel supply contracts ensure that secondary power can be supplied indefinitely in the event that both utility grids suffer an extended outage.
- A/B UPS: The “A” and “B” utility feeds are also connected to independent UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) systems each capable of sustaining a datacenter’s full power load. UPSs condition all utility power going into our datacenters and ensure an uninterrupted switch from primary (utility) to secondary (generator) power.
- A/B PDUs: The 20, 30 and 40 Amp, 208 Volt, 3 Phase “A” and “B” power feeds are metered and switchable at the port level via pre-installed PDUs (power distribution units).
- A/B Power Supplies. To take full advantage of the premium A/B power systems engineered into Tenzing’s datacenters, servers with redundant power supplies are plugged into both the “A” and “B” power feeds. If there is a power failure in either the “A” or “B” feed or a failure of one the power supplies, the server will automatically adjust and draw power from the functioning circuit and power supply rather than split its power load.
Advanced Environmental Management
- To maintain the optimum environment in its datacenters, Tenzing uses a combination of award-winning technologies: APC “InfrastruXture” and Enwave “Deep-Water” cooling. Together, these cooling systems achieve the highest levels of cooling efficiency and reliability available.
- Air is circulated and filtered every 90 seconds to remove dust and contaminants from the data center.
- Our datacenters have VESDA (Very Early Smoke Detection Apparatus) system provides advanced warning to stop any fire before it starts and, in the unlikely event one should occur, a FM200 fire suppression systems is installed to stop a fire from spreading.
- Physical access is restricted to authorized datacenter technicians and bonded facility contractors. Guests and clients do not have physical access to Tenzing’s datacenters apart from escorted tours which are only permitted during scheduled times with prior clearance.
- All datacenter employees undergo a complete background security check before they’re hired.
- Entrance to facility is secured by a man trap and 24x7x365 uniformed security.
- Entrance to production area of facility has additional man-trap with biometric identity authentication system and video monitoring.
- Datacenter Technicians trained to the highest industry standards.
- Required to be experienced in managing enterprise-class IT infrastructures with strict change management protocols.
- On-site coverage 24x7x365.
AWS designs its datacenters to deliver high performance, scalability, security and redundancy. Each region of operation, for example, includes multiple availability zones, sophisticated cloud orchestration and routing technologies, high-speed network connectivity, and intelligent network storage delivered seamlessly as a service. In combination, these capabilities enable Tenzing to deliver near-realtime disaster recovery to retailers at a fraction of the cost of traditional solutions.
Security is a primary concern for retailers, especially in the aftermath of several high-profile data breaches at leading retailers across the country. Tenzing leverages a number of AWS security features designed to ensure that your web store and valuable customer data are protected:
- Secure access – Customer access points, also called API endpoints, allow secure HTTP access (HTTPS) so that you can establish secure communication sessions with your AWS services using SSL.
- Built-in firewalls – Tenzing can control how accessible your instances are by configuring built-in firewall rules – from totally public to completely private, or somewhere in between. And when your instances reside within a Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) subnet, you can control egress as well as ingress.
- Unique users – The AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) tool allows Tenzing to control the level of access your own users have to your AWS infrastructure services. With AWS IAM, each user can have unique security credentials, eliminating the need for shared passwords or keys and allowing the security best practices of role separation and least privilege.
- Multi-factor authentication (MFA) – AWS provides built-in support for multi-factor authentication (MFA) for use with AWS Accounts as well as individual IAM user accounts.
- Private Subnets – The AWS Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) service allows Tenzing to add another layer of network security to your instances by creating private subnets and even adding an IPsec VPN tunnel between your home network and your AWS VPC.
- Encrypted data storage – Customers can have the data and objects they store in Amazon S3, Glacier, Redshift, and Oracle RDS encrypted automatically using Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 256, a secure symmetric-key encryption standard using 256-bit encryption keys.
- Dedicated connection option – The AWS Direct Connect service allows Tenzing to establish a dedicated network connection from your premise to AWS. Using industry standard 802.1q VLANs, this dedicated connection can be partitioned into multiple logical connections to enable you to access both public and private IP environments within your AWS cloud.
- Security logs – AWS CloudTrail provides logs of all user activity within your AWS account. You can see what actions were performed on each of your AWS resources and by whom.
“Tenzing is a complete solution house. Their industry experience makes them an exceptional managed service provider for ecommerce. They are a great partner, they have amazing people, and it’s been a wonderful journey with them. I have no doubt they will continue to provide exceptional value as we grow”.
Sufi Khan Sulaiman, Vice President, eCommerce & Digital at Lorex by FLIR