Tips for finding top ecommerce providers
Whether you’re deciding on an ecommerce platform, systems integrator or managed services vendor, one of the most important steps in finding top ecommerce providers is learning about their existing customer base. A provider’s customer base will give you a good idea of their suitability for your project. Most ecommerce providers will share high level information, case studies and sample work, but we strongly encourage you dive a little deeper.
You’ll be able to find the right ecommerce providers for your busines, if you ask about:
- How many ecommerce clients they have, their average online revenue and the platforms and technologies they use. Don’t be swayed by an impressive logo slide – you may dig a little deeper and find that many of the bigger brands are old, small or one off projects.
- Performance Metrics for their clients – ask potential vendors about conversions, site uptime and speed metrics for their client base.
- Specific reference requests – ask to interview specific clients by industry, transaction volume or technology type – this will get you speaking to a broader range of customers, beyond typical reference candidates.
- Ask about issues that customers have faced – what are the last 3-5 major incidents with clients? What went wrong and how were issues resolved?
- Make sure to ask about their success getting customers live – what % of deployments are on time and on budget? What are some of the reasons for delays or budget increases? This will help you understand how good the vendor is at scoping a project, how realistic their expectations are, as well as how they respond to project changes.
- If your business is dependent on the holiday shopping season, ask vendors about how they support their current customers during peak season – do they have extended support, additional staff etc.
For example – at Tenzing we have developed a holiday prep program for our retail customers – we start working with them in August to plan for the holiday shopping season and starting in November we have increased staffing on our service desk as well as vacation freeze for our entire operations team.
If you’re in the process of choosing a vendor for your ecommerce store – we’d love to help. You can contact us to set up a discussion, or take a look at some of our more in-depth content.
Latest posts by Aisling McCaffrey (see all)
- Five Tips to Prepare Your Cloud Infrastructure for the Holiday Season Traffic - September 24, 2018
- 3 Steps to Get Your Digital Innovation Journey Started - May 30, 2018
- What not to miss at IRCE 2018! - May 23, 2018