Sr Linux Systems Administrator
According to eMarketer, eCommerce is the only trillion-dollar industry experiencing double-digit year-over-year growth. In 2012, global eCommerce sales topped a trillion dollars for the first time ($1.1 trillion). If estimates are accurate by 2018 eCommerce will grow to $2.49 trillion. These figures alone are compelling, however coupled with the US Census Bureau’s estimate that only 7% of retail sales are currently done online leads us to believe that the eCommerce industry will be a dynamic, lucrative market for many years to come.
Tenzing Managed IT Services is a privately-held, managed hosting company founded in 1998. Tenzing specializes in hosting comprehensive enterprise-class eCommerce, software-as-a-service, and other enterprise Web applications. The Company’s key differentiators include its expertise and focus around managed services supporting leading eCommerce software platforms such as Oracle Commerce, Intershop, Hybris, Magento, and Websphere. Based on Tenzing’s experience hosting multiple eCommerce customers and in collaboration with SI partners, Tenzing has developed a set of reference architectures to standardize configurations which now also leverages asset-free deployments including Amazon Web Services (AWS).
Tenzing is capitalizing on two major market trends that are starting to intersect which is the growth in enterprise eCommerce/merchant applications and the growth in public cloud platform consumption. In the past 18 months Tenzing has been winning extensively with US merchants and 2015 represented a pivotal year smashing previous “new contract sales” records in the company with the majority of them on strategy. Tenzing has progressively moved away from generalist managed service offerings and this role will be challenged to help shape a scalable infrastructure organization to sustain the accelerated growth.
The Sr Linux Systems Administrator is responsible for working in a global team to deliver 100% uptime for our customers spread throughout datacentres in North America, Europe and cloud platforms such as AWS.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter that will work closely with our amazing delivery and support teams to provide our customers with a great customer experience, strong security and maximum performance for their environments.
The individual is responsible for efficient handling of requests, incidents and problems that our customers experience. They will respond to escalations from our Tier 1/2 NOC, and work with customers and partners to deliver final resolution in a timely manner.
The successful candidate will have a wide variety of hands-on technical knowledge – significant experience with RHEL, CentOS is a must! Prior experience with VMWare and Apache is also required.
The ideal candidate will be used to operating through metrics – moving the needle month to month on key KPI’s will be an ongoing goal.
Participating in a rotating on-call schedule will be required.
Roles & RESPONSIBILITES:
- Provide answers and support to clients by identifying problems, researching answers and guiding clients through corrective steps
- Utilize superior technical troubleshooting skills to provide hands on support at the server and infrastructure level
- Detailed root cause analysis and recommendations to prevent reoccurrence in the future
- Contribute to project work and ongoing documentation libraries
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation schedule
- Oversee ongoing projects and patch cycle processes
- Identify system improvements which may include upgrading, installing and configuring systems while monitoring system performance
- Participate in the development of client training programs by identifying learning issues and recommending instructional language
- Working as part of a team to identify and implement industry best practices
- Assist in the configuration and deployment of new environments
- Participate in our Change Advisory Board twice weekly
- Contribute and support towards building the culture defined by the CEO and President
- Experience in the administration and implementation of Oracle, PostgreSQL and MySQL considered an asset
- Advanced knowledge of the Apache web server required
KEY SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
- Minimum 7-10 years as a Linux Systems Administrator. At least 5 years in the implementation and support of clustered environments
- Demonstrated expertise in managing large scale server infrastructure using Linux based operating systems in a 24×7 mission critical production environment
- Extensive experience with RHEL and CentOS (Including Satellite Server)
- Ability to identify performance bottlenecks and propose resolutions
- Scripting experience and automation experience highly desirable
- Knowledge of system backup tools and techniques. Strong understanding of the different storage mediums (SAN/NAS/etc.)
- Strong understanding of file system concepts, server clustering technologies and methodologies
- Very familiar with TCP/IP networking including routing and redundancy protocols
- ITIL/ITSM experience including change management experience
- RHCE or RHCSA 6 or 7 desired but not required
GENERAL SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
- Prior web operations experience
- Track record of strong judgment, linking decisions to metrics and data
- Able to multi-task and to work well under pressure, including resolving problems quickly under pressure (eg. service restoration due to an outage)
- Excellent communication skills
- Team player who can build trust and operate in a collaborative and transparent manner
- Customer driven and Customer Oriented
- Prior experience working in a globally dispersed team an asset
- First 3-6 months – Learn the systems
- Full understanding of customers the individual works with, understands their architecture and common issues.
- Full knowledge of tooling and where to get information
- Participated in full patch cycle
- Able to participate in on-call rotation
- Able to perform capacity assessments on client environments in advance of busy seasons.
- 6-12 months – Run!
- Work with other remote staff to effectively hand off work between team regions
- Delivering improvements on our delivery processes
- Successful holiday season support
- Able to take experience and operate on new cloud platforms or in client datacentres.
- 12-24 months – Charge!
- Implemented improved automation techniques
- Able to operate as a team lead.
Are you ready to find out more?
If you meet the requirements for this position and this sounds like the direction you want to take your career, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Please indicate the position title you are applying for in the subject line.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Tenzing Managed IT Services is committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.